Sunday, December 05, 2004

Day 14237

So, I noticed last night that I had included in the title of this blog the word "portrait". Ironically, other than a picture of me at age 4 at our family's 1st cabin, there are not any portraits here. So, I've decided to add one.



This is a picture I took while on vacation this past August of the sickle mower used to clear the lot before we built our 1st cabin. I stopped there in one of those "you can't go home again" moments. I was stunned to see that it was still there and that the owners of the property had even periodically re-painted the famous WW II flying ace! That mower has been there in western North Dakota since 1964, but it doesn't look like it's been used. I have this photo as my background on my computer. It reminds me of simpler times.

Much had changed there and it was both disconcerting and exciting. The building behind the wheel barrow on the right is a new garage/shop, built by the current owners. They also planted the small trees in the photo. The Russian Olive trees on the left were 5 feet tall when we sold the place in 1977. Today they are about 30 feet tall. The large pine trees were between 2 and 3 feet tall and are now about 35 feet tall.

Seeing the mature trees on the property was rewarding. It made all the work my late Grandfather had done on the landscaping worthwhile. It also left something permanent to mark his life. I really enjoyed my visit back there, and that's why I have a photo of an old mower on my computer and now on this site.

Here's hoping you treasure your simpler days, too. Good night.

1 Comments:

Blogger Joseph Gallo said...

Love this simpler shot, Yibby. Truly. Keep them coming as I will be checking back on your weekly and as time allows. I like your posts and find a certain pathos present as well as an affinity. Be well, my friend, and whistle once in a while I did today and I was sparkly all day while doing the most mundane, simple, human things. ;-)

9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home