Sunday, January 02, 2005

Day 14265

Ola!

Wow, another 365 days gone and already 2 into the next batch! This sort of looking back makes it really tempting for me to write about the past 365, commenting on the highs and lows. However, I know we each received at least one of "those" letters in our batch o' holiday cards. So, I'll spare you the long drawn out version. Short version is...Truth be told I had my fair share of highs, lows, and ho-hums (along with a few ho-ho's). They made each day worth waking up to, to see what would happen next.

Unfortunately, my mind can't stop focussing on my year ending with a rollercoaster of emotions. I was falsely accused of a hit and run (no injuries, just vehicular damage). I witnessed it and the guilty party drove away in a green Jeep Cherokee, Bronco, or Explorer-shaped vehicle. I couldn't see the licesne plate as it was raining and there was too much road glare that night. Though obvious to everyone else, the lady refused to believe it wasn't me until I later provided photos of an undamaged, scratch-free front bumper. I was driving a company vehicle at the time and she probably had dollar signs distorting her view of reality. Insert your favorite feminized name-calling here: _______ _______ _______! I think 3 should have covered it.

On a brighter note, the locations in my district all had record months and all but one had record years! Yay! It's good for the individual workers, the managers, me, and of course the company. So, that was exciting.

And finally, by the 30th, my back was toast and still is. I can barely move to get up off of floors, out of chairs, and I certainly had no ability to get frisky as part of a New Year's celebration. I am currently dreaming of lying down in my warm bed. Problem is, I can't sleep so early, or I will totally screw up my sleep schedule. I can't sit up to read, as it hurts my back. At this point putting on headphones will probably not keep me awake. I'm screwed.

So, I don't really make New Year resolutions, because I never manage to keep them. This year, I've decided to make some, but call them appointments instead. First up, I need to get my back checked out. The last time anyone looked at it, x-rays showed a bulging disc in my lumbar area. This recent episode has me sore down there, but I am also in even more pain between my shoulder blades. I'm so tense there that it is affecting my rib cage, putting pressure on my sternum. Did anyone know you can crack your sternum? Actually, it feels like there is movement around the sternum in the cartlidge whenever I yawn and stretch. That's when I get the cracking sound. I can feel it resonate in my torso! It doesn't hurt at all, but it's really freaky.

Anyway, I'm extremely nervous that I will have to have surgery and get my back fused. I'm inflexible enough as it is, so this is the last thing I probably need. I also worry that there will be sexual side effects, the kind little blue pills may not help. I still don't have children, (or a significant other for that matter) but I want to have some kids and would like the opportunity to make them the fun way.

I've been sitting in my chair for the last 5 minutes without typing a single character. My right knee has been rapidly bouncing up and down with only the ball of my foot staying in one place. Did that make sense? Anyway, it's a nervous reaction/tick that I haven't seen in a very long time. Becoming conscious of this movement is what stopped me from dwelling on surgery and it's possible outcome. I will justify not seeing a doctor this coming week due to work, but I would have to lie even to myself to avoid scheduling something for the week of the 10th. The reality is that I might not get the choice as to when I go get checked out, though. Hopefully, I make it through this coming week.

Anyway, I probably will have very few blog entries in the next week or two. Those of you who are close friends and family shouldn't freak out over it. I have a cell phone and will demand that it be kept with me.

Be well. Be safe. Be loving.

3 Comments:

Blogger Allan said...

I hope your back sorts itself out without too much trouble and that the rest of the year falls into the places you wish it to.

6:54 PM  
Blogger Joni said...

My husband has a ruptured disk. His doctor had two ruptured disks and is currently an avid mountain biker. She (and my husband) both had epidural injections of steroids to reduce the swelling and the pain. The injections work anywhere from 6 months to a year or more (my husband went over a year between injections). Its not a perfect solution and you have to keep your muscle strength up, but it does avoid the surgery at least for many years I've been told. And the injection really isn't that bad. Just thought you might like to know there are other options out there.

7:45 PM  
Blogger newwavegurly said...

I am so sorry to hear about this back problem that is immobilizing you. Know that there are people out here thinking about you and sending good thoughts your way.

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home