Sunday, December 19, 2004

Day 14251

Sometimes I cry over the most unexpected things. To be truthful, I don't think I cry easily. Sometimes I even feel guilty by what doesn't make me cry. Certain things are a slam dunk though, Trip Through Your Wires by U2 is one of those. Here's another...

One summer day in 1997, while at my home in Klamath Falls, OR, a lady walked up to my front porch door as I was experiencing some writer's block. She said nothing and stared at my stereo speakers as a song by Burning Sky played. I tried not to stare at her black eye. I invited her in. She just stared. I asked if she was OK. She just stared. So we both just stared at the speakers and listened. After the song ended, she turned around, stepped off the porch, and walked down the alley. I never saw her again.

After she left, I set aside my song lyrics and instead wrote the following in a couple of minutes. It's structural defects have never been fixed. It's as if it's damaged; I like it that way. Anyway, I stumbled across it tonight as I was going through a box. The memory of that day made me cry. I wish I understood exactly just what triggers me.

The Visitor

"Why are you distressed, and why is your face fallen?"
It was written on the beam, in the CD's inner sleeve.
So why are you distressed, and why did you leave?
Can't you see the sun is shining and it's a beautiful day?
Outside the trees are dancing, shimmering silver and green.
So why is your face fallen, your demeanor `ever sullen?
Was it something unsaid? Are there storm clouds on the way?
Was it the threat of militia, or another who holds the strings?

I wish I knew the answer,
I wish I could make you smile,
If not forever, at least just for a while.

So who are you anyway? Will you tell me your name?
Are you from this town, or somewhere across the plains?
I tried to cheer you up with some percussion, guitar, and flute,
But judging from your somber look, I guess it was no use.
Now you're walking down the alley, headed for who knows where.
I don't even know you, but for some reason I still care.
And the trees are still shimmering, but now in green and gray.
There's a chill in the air, and storm clouds are on the way.

And I wish that you felt better,
And that I could make you smile,
If not forever, at least just for a while.


Good night. Oh, an honorable gold star to the person who knows which cd the first line is printed in! (See 2nd line for where to look!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home