Sunday, December 12, 2004

Day 14244

Bear with me; what you read is not as insensitive as it immediately sounds. OK, brace yourself, I wish I had less money. No, that’s not true. I wish I had less stuff. Yeah, that’s better. I have so much crap, that I don’t use it all, even in one year’s time. I would bet that I am not alone in this.

Here’s a list of some of the junk I probably should either put on E-Bay or donate:

  • A Playstation with a handful of games
  • Computer games I don’t play
  • 2 televisions
  • 2 old computers, in addition to the one I’m on now
  • 2 barely operational cars
  • An electronics experiment kit
  • A remote controlled car

There is probably more, but you get the idea. I have things that, quite frankly, don’t enhance my life. The TV’s, Playstation and computer games just encourage me to sit on my butt and do nothing. The electronics kit and the remote-controlled car would be great X-Mas gifts for some child. I really only need 1 functional automobile. Finally, the computers could be donated to the local Boys & Girls Club.

What the hell is wrong with me? There are some impulse purchases in that list. They were a total waste. The second car cost me money that could have been used to make the first better. And the friggin’ TV’s…their pure evil! It’s not that I didn’t watch television before (I did have roommates with TV’s), but because I didn’t own one, I felt like a user for watching the roommate’s, so, I limited my viewing. I finally bought the main one for my 31st birthday. The 2nd much smaller one followed, get this, in case of bad weather while I was camping! I swear every year since that I have become increasingly more boring. I would say I’ve become literally fatter as well. It’s ridiculous!

I’ve got to make some changes. I still will keep the big TV so that I can rent DVD’s, but the other is a waste. The 2nd car needs to go as well and then use the money from its sale to fix up the nicer vehicle. The rest of the above stuff can be donated or sold. Who knows, after that, I might just read all the books I own! That’s right, I have books I haven’t even read! I bought them because they intrigued me and I thought they would be entertaining. Now they just sit in a bookshelf. I can’t help but feel spoiled when I think of all the excess junk I have. Junk I do nothing with, or allow to take up so much of my time that I don’t really even live. If that makes any sense.

Well, I’m out of excuses and I already have a list started. Time to take the plunge. My goal is to live simpler, buying only what I truly need. Of course, doing that won’t eliminate entertainment, but I hope it forces me to get more of my thrills by going outside and enjoying nature. I used to do it as a kid, why not now? It’s certainly more interesting and I doubt there are ever any re-runs!

This is kind of exciting! I mean, I feel good about this. Well, I need to write an ad for that car, so ...pasta iguana!

2 Comments:

Blogger Allan said...

I am at a point in my life where I could buy pretty much anything that might interest me.

But I'm not an impulsive person. I wasn't raised that way. I invariably ask myself whether I really need to buy something before doing it.

The answer is almost always no.

7:50 PM  
Blogger bhd said...

You will feel immeasurably better as you rid yourself of this onerous clutter, and I believe you'll attain the momentum you need. And I'm going to take the lesson from you, but not before taking photographic evidence of what is not so much excess here at the labs, but laziness. Good luck!

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home