Friday, December 17, 2004

Day 14249

Well, time flies while life goes by! Seems I haven't posted anything for a few days and I have far too many ideas popping into my head. Thought about doing some purging by means of a simple list, but one thought keeps coming to mind more than the others...

I work in an industry that is largely populated by males. Like all businesses, it has selling as its central point, or source of income. I'm responsible for ensuring that several of our company's locations continue to increase sales. Stereotypical "used car" sales-slicksters do not increase sales; honest, personable, caring, and intelligent individuals, however, do find themselves attracting new customers and keeping old ones coming back. I needed one of these people in one of our locations in central California. Actually, I still do. Here's why...

I interviewed several candidates recently and concluded the conversation by letting them know I would call them one way or another. I then narrowed the field down to two individuals, an ambitious, friendly lady and a gentleman with revelant experience. Unable to agree on a salary with the gentleman, I next offered the position to the lady. She accepted and we then confirmed a start date and time. At this point, one tends to relax.

I called up the rest and notified them that our company had decided on another individual. To the man, they all expressed surprise that I had kept my word and actually called them to deliver the news and wished them luck on their job search!

No big deal? I beg to differ. To me, that meant they would have treated our customers poorly. I mean, if they didn't expect to be notified of our decision, isn't it probable that they would not have been likely to return calls to our customers? They didn't expect that level of courtesy, so why would they be courteous to others?

Anyway, the lady had existing credit issues. Not with medical expenses or something serious and necessary, but for luxeries. For example, satellite TV and cell phone usage. My gut told me she was far from responsible, a flake. Yet, on paper and in the interview she explained that she wanted to leave her current employer because of lack of hours. As I said, I offered her a job anyway. She accepted and we agreed upon a start date and time. After she didn't show up, I left her a phone message asking if there had been a misunderstanding, another opportunity, or an accident; and to please return my call. I never heard from her.

I thought she was a sweet lady, but found her to be lacking courtesy. It was OK if she had another offer. I expected that she was checking out other job leads. Still, nothing. I try to be courteous. I expect it from those I supervise. I also expect it from all human beings. Nothing. I usually follow my gut, as my intuition has mostly been proven correct. I will never doubt it again.

Interesting note here. After talking to our H.R. dept., it seems this is the 10th time in the past year that this has happened in our California stores. It is not a problem elsewhere.

I certainly never get called old-fashioned, but sheesh! How about a teensy bit of simple, common courtesy, eh?

------------

Well, I'm obviously sleepy! I now have a neat design of a button on my shirt pressed into my forearm! It looks cool. Also, I hear crickets! Seems kind of early in the year for those little buggers!

Anysheesh, G-Nighty!

1 Comments:

Blogger newwavegurly said...

You know, I just don't understand people that just "don't show up" when they've accepted a job offer. Sure, when most people are job hunting, they wind up having interviews at multiple places at a time, and sometimes get offered more than one job and need to make a choice.

I agree, common courtesy would have me calling the place I had accepted a position with to inform them in my change of heart...

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home