Sunday, April 24, 2005

Day 14377

Last August, as part of my vacation, I went back to ND, where my dad lives. Prior to the trip, I had asked one of my brothers to talk to him about getting together so we could chat. My father declined. My father has 4 sons that I know of and 5 living brothers and a sister. My middle brother and my aunt are the only ones who speak to him and even that is rare. Without change, he will die alone and lonely. I think he knows that. I don't know why, but he just doesn't seem willing to do anything to alter his future.

My father is an alcoholic and has been for at least 34 years. Those of you who know the deal, understand that drinking or not, the disease doesn't go away. My father quit drinking for a few years beginning when I was in the 6th grade. I cannot begin to express how proud I was of him and how much additional respect I had for the man. At that age, I also had no idea just how important that tidbit of information could have possibly been to my dad. I've never told him.

My father is going on 69 years old and unfortunately has been drinking for at least the last 24 years that I'm aware of. When I think about how much he drinks and add that to 50+ years of smoking, I am amazed he is still alive. I sometimes wonder if he would have had the strength to stay sober if I had only told him I was proud of him for staying clean and that I loved him. I would have liked to, but I haven't spoken to my father in 12 years. After years of repeated efforts were declined, I gave up. I don't remember when it happened, just that it happened. In my selfish world, the rejection just became too painful to continue reaching out. However, I would be lying if I said I didn't want things to change. Drinking or not, past strains acknowledged and forgiven or not, I do love him and wish he was in my life. And yes, it would be better if he was sober.

I never in my wildest dreams would have thought that I would have posted this information. This is a direct result of my interaction with some folks on Radio Paradise. Some of these people have drinking problems and are courageously staying sober. I frequently lurk in the "Friends of Bill W?" forum and smile as they support each other and daily add to the amount of time they live life alert, free from false security, and embracing their reality, both good and bad. It is more beautiful than any picture I have ever seen, more inspirational than any book or movie. I'm proud of them even though I haven't met a single one. Some I consider friends, some I've never even interacted with.

I don't know if this sounds self-important, arrogant, or whatever, but I feel I should let them know I support them, just in case it matters. Hence, the real reason for this post. I won't mention specific names here for fear of accidently leaving someone out, but I truly admire and am proud of each and every one of them. They are all heroes.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

TY for this post. my husband, xeric is a frequent commentor on RP, and he forwarded this to me. i, on the other hand, am a frequent blogger, and have been in recovery since feb. 23, 1992. believe me, comment ssuch as these are much appreciated. i'm sorry about your dad. mine died when i was 17 from drinking and smoking....

6:14 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Here you are!

I had to create an account just to let you know that I found it and now I have a blog of my own with nothing to say, dang it!

I wanted to let you know that I found your words about your dad very heartwrenching. I hope that he finds his way to you somehow - before it is too late.

He is missing out on knowing what an awesome man you are.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Joni said...

I know where you're coming from, somewhat. Both my parents are/were alcoholics. My dad died when I was 18. I didn't have the wisdom to find the man beyond the bottle until long after he was dead. And I never got the chance to tell him I loved him before he died. I was too caught up in the day to day drama of being a teenager living with two alcoholics. I can't tell you how many times I told him I hated him. What I really hated was the abusive SOB the bottle made him.

Don't punish yourself for things you did and didn't do when you were 12. You dad is responsible for himself. He's an adult, and nobody can convince him to want his life or his family back except him.

From someone who had to come to terms and acceptance of a whole bunch of crap after my father died, I offer this one thought:

Do what you can now to make coming to terms with the past easier after he's gone. There's a lot of room for shoulda, woulda, coulda. Its tough, but its even tougher later when the chance it gone. At least I imagine theres some solace in knowing you tried. My thoughts are with you. *hug*

5:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home