Sunday, January 23, 2005

Day 14286

Flogging the dead horse. I've done that a bit lately to admittedly bad results. But I'm feeling like a stubborn fool, so let's continue, shall we?

I have been contacted by a few people concerning the post titled Day 14284. Some of the comments haven't been friendly at all. Others simply questioned either how I could know or hang out with 3 sexual offenders or whatever possessed me to post that entry in the first place. Interestingly, no comments were posted on the blog itself. Go figure.

Well, again, I wanted to be completely truthful on this blog. Truth to me also includes purposely not leaving out information. Of course, I won't be divulging every single thing about myself, i.e. the company I work for, but if relevent, I'll post it.

As for how I came to know 3 sexual offenders, I was friends with one of them first. He was charged and went through the punishment and rehabilitation process. During the rehab / re-education process, he met the other two. This was in a small town and all were leary of going out in public. We all got together on Friday nights to play poker, listen to music, watch movies, and cook a dinner. Did this for over a year. These three felt extremely uncomfortable in their rehabilitation groups because of the graphic brutality of some of the other offender's crimes. (Here, I'll purposely leave out details as I don't know the age and maturity of this blog's audience. Suffice to say that what little I heard made me sick to my stomach.) So, we started hanging out and that's how we came to be friends.

So, the big question to me was why post it? I've re-read it. It seems to lack a logical flow mirroring what my thought process was. (I was very tired when I wrote it.) I've also thought about eliminating it. I won't. Life isn't always pretty or comfortable. My train of thought was to say how proud I was of the friend I had had dinner with that night. I attempted to ease into the topic by stating that members of my circle have had run-ins with the law, which I assume exists somewhere in every family or group of friends. I mentioned a range of specific crimes and then went rambling down the road.

It triggered something unpleasant in a few of you. To these hypocrites, I say, "What would your Jesus do?". Keep casting your stones, or not. I don't give a rat's patootie.

To the one who was upset that society blames the victim, I agree that that is far too frequently a problem. I am sorry for your experience. In the case of the girl I mentioned, I do believe she has some lingering psychological problems from her childhood. As I said, she admitted to lieing. I mentioned her friend's statement, hinting that the victim's actions in the morning seemed inconsistent with the situation. I think in the case concerning my friend, I just can't believe her. Again, I don't think this is the norm in the vast majority of cases. I really do believe society is too quick to doubt or blame the victim. It is sad. Hopefully, this tendancy changes and quick. May you and your friend continue the healing.

Well, let's consider the flogging complete. I'm done. Stick a spork in me. I won't be posting for a while as I'm heading out of town, but have not abandoned this exercise of posting. When I get back, if I find my home in cinders like some victimized Planned Parenthood facility, I'll just assume it was one of you Designated Haters out there.

Well, there's a football game on and a seat with my name on it...

Buenos tardes amigos.

2 Comments:

Blogger bhd said...

Context is everything, innit? Without context (which cannot simply be provided via blogging) we have nothing left to weigh than our own predispositions. Your previous post gave me some discomfort, admittedly, but I was clear that without context, I wasn't in a position to judge.

But there's no accounting for personal experiences, which will color, if not cloud, all experiences to come. If we all had the same perspective, there'd be no need for art, or discourse, or adventure.

Hang in there.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Joni said...

I've been meaning to write this, but haven't had a chance. I read your first post about your friends and I'll admit to a bit of "judgemental attitude" initially. But then I quickly remembered that you seem like a level-headed individual from what I've read of your writing. Ultimately, since you seem like a good guy, I have to give you (and by association, them) the benefit of the doubt. I don't know any of you, I don't know details. Who am I to judge? Besides, it appears a judge has already had his say on these matters and some people really can learn from mistakes.

From this post, it sounds like you're doing your part to help some people by giving them a comfortable place to hang out and a way to ease back into their lives. That's commendable. So maybe I am right about you. ;)

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home