Saturday, February 05, 2005

Day 14299b

Well, my uncle's surgery went well! The next hurdle is taking him off the respirator in a few hours. The doctor expects him to be fine. Whew.

On a less serious note...

This past Friday, Day 14298, was not documented in any form on this blog. There is no secret portal you can click to view it, no password you can type to see it, and no special handshake that will gain you acceptance into any small clique of those-in-the-know. What a pity! It might have been kind of cool. No, there is just the following...

I left my friend's house in Paradise, CA at 7:AM and started to drive to work in Chico. It was a beautiful, clear morning and the sun was just about to come up over the horizon. Realizing I had a whole hour before I had to be at work, a sudden sense of adventure came over me. (I just love that devious little thrill and the associated rush that comes with it!) So, I pointed the truck towards Honey Run Road and decided I would take this alternate route into Chico.

I used to do this about once a month back when I lived in Paradise. It was a great way to relieve stress, especially on the way home when traffic was bad. Honey Run Road is rarely ever travelled, at least the full length of it, probably because 1/2 of the approximately 15 mile stretch is a one-lane road.

Heading south, the road winds down into a canyon and settles into a position between the south canyon wall and Honey Run Creek. It is a twisty drive, with far too few areas to pull out should oncoming traffic approach. Anyway, it was a beautiful day for a commute! I didn't see a soul as I drove the length of it at a slower-than-leisurely pace.

The views were spectacular! Spring has always been my favorite season, and the recent rains had given life to the now green grass. Occasionally, I got a glimpse of the creek through the trees and peaks at several houses, both rustic and new. There's also a covered bridge that's still standing that you can see as you drive by. I arrived at work relaxed and in a terrific mood, even though I was kind of kicking myself for not packing the camera! I would have loved to share some photos of the "trip" here on this blog. Next time I promise not to forget it.

Anyway, that was the highlight of my day. What could have been a tedious, occasionally stressful commute into work was instead a nice drive through the country! I wish I could do it every day.

If any of you have an alternate route you can take into work, I recommend it. That little change of scenery is just enough to kick start the brain and make you appreciate, well, our world! Besides, call me paranoid if you must, but it throws big brother off the trail!

3 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

Glad to hear that your uncle's surgery went well. And thanks for the drive through Paradise.

10:55 PM  
Blogger Allan said...

What she said.

Please keep us updated on his recovery.

11:36 PM  
Blogger Yibbyl said...

Just a quick note. My uncle is already laughing and apparently looks very good! He even ate some solid food this evening. Looks like everything was a success!

Again, thanks for your concern & good wishes.

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home