Saturday, February 12, 2005

Day 14306

I have a National Geographic Society map of Australia on the wall above my computer. It came from my friend Eric's apartment, which we had utilized as a recording studio. I have no idea why the map was deemed significant enough to initially put up, but it obviously was important to him. I have it now, because no one else wanted it when we dismantled the studio. It's important to me for several reasons, the least significant being that someday I want to visit Tasmania. Actually, three years ago, I was fantasizing about moving there and could have been easily talked into it.

Once in a while, I still think about relocating there, but I'm not the least bit serious. I just fantasize like that because I enjoy the "trip". Nine years ago, I was much more serious about leaving the country. I attempted to relocate to New Zealand, but wasn't allowed to. New Zealand is rather protective of its employment opportunities and I didn't have enough points to be considered immigration material. It reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine franticly searches for her brand of sponge which had been discontinued. Upon acquiring some of the sponges, she starts to interview prospective partners to see if they are "spongeworthy"! One of my favorite episodes. "Yeah, like I said, I'll shave the sideburns!" Ha! Ha! Anywho, I didn't have enough points to move there as an employee and couldn't afford to start my own company there either. New Zealand requires a hefty fee in addition to the startup capital one would need. Lastly, I didn't try to seek out a female citizen who might have found me "spongeworthy". So, I struck out.

I have been asked many times why I would want to leave the U.S.. It's not what I think is wrong with our country, as opposed to what I think is right with New Zealand. Anyway, my reasons aren't really important, here. Just suffice it to say I was willing to move and would have changed my citizenship without any regrets. You know, grass is always greener...

Getting back to Tasmania...I fantasize about the white water rafting, the slower pace of life, the mild climate, the low crime rate, the lower cost of living, the appreciation of the traditional craft industries, the access to the sea, the live music scene, and of course the fishing. I won't go there for any reason other than a visit because, well, because of hope. I could go into specifics, I just don't feel like explaining to you, or even myself, when I haven't discussed it with the one who makes me hopeful.

Well, I see I took my sweet time writing what little I have posted here tonight and now I am tired. You can bet that I will fall asleep thinking about the sea and fishing in Tasmania. Also, I think I'll add in a fun, little 2-seater sports car. Is this the start of a mid-life crisis?

Cheers!

1 Comments:

Blogger Allan said...

The sports car might be a mid-life crisis, but the rest of it just sounds like a cool fantasy.

12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home