Thursday, June 30, 2005

Day 14443a

I wrote the following at 1:00 AM...

I can't sleep. There's a good chance that it has to do with the fact that I just got done driving back from Paradise an hour ago. It's also really warm in my house and I can't sleep when I'm too warm. Sometimes I even sleep with one leg outside of the covers simply to equalize my body temp. I also rarely complain when someone hogs the covers. I'm a good sport that way!

So the very first hour of Day 14443 I apparrently spent wasting time doing the following:

1) I powered up the computer to read e-mail, blogs, and some journals and forums on Radio Paradise. (Yeah, I wanna be a pimp!)

2) I stripped down to my underwear in an effort to cool down - Yeah, that's it! Cool down. Yeah...

3) I stared at a pile of towels and chose not to put them into the washing machine.

4) Zoning, I woke up with my forehead just above the keyboard.

5) After ridding myself of the after-effects of too much soda, I finally gave up and went to bed.

Ah, the life of the road weary traveller is so exciting! Don'tchathink?

So, since I do spend so much of my time on the road, you'd think I'd make better use of my time. For instance, listening to an audio book or something. Nope. Nada. Strictly personal cd's or sports talk radio. I look like an idiot when I listen to sports talk, laughing hysterically at what must appear to be nothing to passers by! The cd's just make me arrive with a slightly hoarse throat...never learned to sing properly!

Occaisionally, I chat on the phone. Tried this last night, but the signal was all over the place...I couldn't even tell you how many times I had to redial! Very frustrating!

So, anyone else spend a lot of time in your vehicles? Besides picking your nose, what do you do? Any good, non-sleep-inducing audio books you can recommend? Let me know...If I'm entertained, I'm less likely to flick a booger on your windshield!

Back later.

5 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Damned phone signal! :)

What? No good dreams?

*hug*

7:18 AM  
Blogger bhd said...

Good audio books? Just about any unabridged book. The first one I ever read, on my 45-minute commute past O'Hare back in the early 90's, was Barbara Tuchman's The Guns of August. (I would never have sat down with that tome, but in the car - it was wonderful.) How about the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? That's crazy good fun.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

straighten out the glove compartment. Look for stray change in the seats. Pick my boo...oh wait you covered that one.

Nope, i would stick with laughing like an idiot at the sports shows. If you can't get a phone signal.

;-)

12:09 PM  
Blogger Allan said...

I have trouble concentrating on audio books while driving. Especially in town where traffic is horrible.

I might do better on the Interstate.

The last one I listened to was David Sedaris' Holidays on Ice while I was out and about doing my Christmas Shopping last year.

It's a wonder I didn't wreck, I was laughing so hard.

Usually I just listen to mix CDs.

And pick my nose.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

OMG, you know Allan is my soulmate, because

a) I, too, almost wrecked the car while listening to David Sedaris

b) I mostly listen to mix CDs

c) I pick my nose

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home