Monday, February 21, 2005

Day 14315

I found out this morning that Hunter S. Thompson had apparently committed suicide. I recognized the name as the man behind Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, but I can't really claim to have been that much of a fan of his. I've been reading many posts this evening about how he "touched" this person or that person, was a hero, etc., I just don't fall into that category. Fear and Loathing was an interesting movie, but my ultimate reaction to the main character was "how pathetic".

That response is ironic in that I've had my scuffle with various substances. When the movie came out I was still actively using one thing or another. Today, I enjoy drinking wine and some robust beers. I drink for the flavor; no longer consuming mass quantities for the purpose of getting drunk. I also don't play with any other drugs.

Tonight, I also saw a message from someone who was upset that a friend had told this person that "You are always high!". I've also gotten the feeling in the past that this person regularly does use weed for recreational purposes, though I could be wrong. I almost posted a response. I didn't because I wasn't confident I could do it without sounding condescending.

Look, I don't think there is anything really that wrong with using pot. In fact, I think it makes more sense to legalize it and make liquor illegal. It's just that since 1998, I've decided that "cuz" just wasn't a good enough reason for me to smoke the stuff. Especially, when I have a mother with MS and a friend with chronic pain, who both could really use the pot for legitimate medical purposes. Yet, U.S. Federal law says, "No way, Jose!". (Insert eye rolling icon here) There's just too much guilt for me to enjoy the stuff and, besides, what's so bad about dealing with reality? Some of my favorite experiences were real!

Anyway, like I said, I didn't respond. I also didn't ooh and ah over Hunter S. Thompson, even though I now am interested in reading some of his works. (Just wanna know what all the hubbub is about.) I have regularly voted for the legalization of medical mari-ganja and will continue to try to convince my Mom that it is OK for her. Finally, I honestly don't see myself lighting up in the future. My how times (I) have changed!

...I been re-reading this since I wrote it. Preachy, eh? I don't know. Do your own thing, right? Just leave enough for the people who could really use it to alleviate migraine headaches, dizziness, and the loss of appetite from taking painkillers. They need it more than you need to quench a "cuz". Know what I mean? You catching my drift? Ya' pickin' up what I'm puttin' down?

Later.

1 Comments:

Blogger bhd said...

Don't judge HST by a movie. His cutting and hysterical use of inner dialogue is beyond compare. Enjoy!

6:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home