Saturday, April 30, 2005

Day 14383

I came home a day earlier than usual from visiting the Chico/Paradise area. I do have some household chores to do, but mostly I left because I was overwhelmed by unnecessary drama.

-----snip-----

I probably should stop there. The drama didn't concern me. In other words, though I would not have identified the overly dramatic participants, I think this is kind of gossiping.

Hmm. I read earlier this evening quite a few postings that mentioned NOT being overly personal on-line and/or the need to be careful concerning what one says about oneself or others. Do I divulge too much self-information? Do I divulge too much about others? The truth is, I really only want one person's input on the drama mentioned above and I can get her a personal message.

I'm wondering where I need or want to draw the line. I have no problem stating that I am eating some very delicious deer salami right now and wish I had something besides milk to wash it down! Whoop-di-do. On the other hand, I won't ever divulge any of my personal intimate details and you'd probably thank me for that. (Some of you are sleepy enough as it is!)

So, where's the limit? If it feels good, should I do it? IMO, probably. Can I use good ole common sense? A modicum of decency? Class? Do I have enough of those? I'd like to think so. Recently, I got pretty personal and, in doing so, painted a rather unflattering picture of my father. Was that too far? I'm feeling pretty comfortable about that post. I was emotional and needed to release some of that. I felt better afterwards and it seemed to touch a few others in a positive way, as well.

Looks like the answer is somewhere pretty darn grey. I can't put my finger on it (unintentional Ween reference), but I suspect I'll know when I'm about to cross that line. Hopefully, any ommitted information doesn't mislead anyone, after all, I did state that I wanted total honesty to be a big part of this blog when I first started. Though, I can think of one entry where I was purposely cryptic. Of course, that one was quickly sniffed out by a rather smart (and cool) lady.

Anyway, all this long-winded blabbing probably is nothing more than an inner voice trying to teach me some kind of lesson. That lession is... Damnit! I most likely owe someone an apology for something I wrote last week in a personal note. Argh! Now I feel like shit. I need to take care of something.

Good night.

5 Comments:

Blogger newwavegurly said...

The answer is that it is indeed a very gray area. Misconceptions/interpretations happen plenty in "real life" let alone in the online environment. Things are always open to interpretation by others, and their interpetations are not always the same as ours.

If you're comfortable (and I mean the collective you, not you in particular, Yibbyl) with putting information about yourself out there, you do it. People just need to keep in mind that if it's "out there", it's available to a whole lot of people... that you know and don't know. That said, I don't necessarily edit myself with what I say on my blog or at RP, but I do try and keep information about the people in my life (both "real" and "online") out of arenas that they themselves wouldn't share it.

I'm sorry to hear you had any drama to contend with, though I am jealous that you've been to Paradise... on more than one occasion no less!

10:54 AM  
Blogger edieraye said...

One of the benefits of being married is that I feel much safer posting than I did as a single woman living alone. Sad but true.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Sounds like I am not the only one having to contend with Drama Trauma recently.

The camping trip this last weekend made a huge difference for me. I was able to be outside and away from the so-called "civilized" society. Nature always has a way of bringing me back to the heart of myself and what's important.

As for how much of ourselves we divulge to one another online or in person - we learn as we go, don't we? Sometimes we make mistakes but, if we are lucky, they are small ones.

Getting to know you has been a treat for me. I'm glad that I found Radio Paradise.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

Yep, yep, grey area indeed.

I've put out some personal info for sure. However, I'm careful about what information it is.

Oh, and deer salami with milk?

9:58 AM  
Blogger Yibbyl said...

Hey Ali! To be sure, deer salami with milk was NOT a euphemism!

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home