Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Day 14387

Don't Know Jack

I would have liked to have made you my savior
But I'm too damn old for the emotional toll that is a bedfellow of infidelity
And I made my choice when I drove you home
A moment of fun and the moment's gone
And I don't know if it's right by old Lao-Tzu
But it sure seemed right with you

I would like to avoid becoming a tragic cliche
One of those men who just ain't content unless he's gone astray
I suppose it's true that it crossed my mind
You got the looks and I got the time
No one would know and I wouldn't feel ashamed
But I'm not that way

How can I phrase it so it doesn't come out bad?
I saw Five Easy Pieces and Jack Nicholson was rad
He took what he had and he left it behind
Just the clothes on his back and a troubled mind
No more make-up or sweet singing Patsy Kline
But I wouldn't give up mine
I wouldn't give up mine

This was written by a friend of mine, named Paul Heiderscheidt. I've been meaning to watch Five Easy Pieces ever since then. I finally did tonight. Sad, powerful movie. In the lyrics, I don't know if Cline was misspelled on purpose or what. I do think he mixed up Tammy Wynette and Patsy Cline, though.

Paul, knowing that I'm kind of obsessed with lyrics, once took me aside and explained them to me. It wasn't exactly what I expected. So, it's a song that compares and contrasts. It starts out about a friend who chose to cheat. (It cost him a longterm relationship with one of the most beautiful ladies I know.) It ends with explaining that Paul, when faced with a similar opportunity once, chose not to, and then explains why. (He managed not to destroy his longterm relationship with someone I don't find beautiful.) For clarification, the words hot, sexy, pretty, smokin', vavoom, etc., all refer to the physical in my mind. The word beautiful I reserve for something greater, something internal, something more important.

I know the girl Paul turned down. I don't believe most men would have said, "Sorry, but no thanks.". She is very striking. Anyway, Jack Nicholson's character was an ass. Sally Ann Struthers is in the film, as is Toni Basil! Thought you'd wanna know.

My head is bobbing. Good night one & all!

1 Comments:

Blogger edieraye said...

Sometimes I prefer my own interpretations to the "right" ones. Sometimes? Most of the time - LOL!

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home