Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Day 14393

So, today I overslept. I woke up at 8:30 this morning, totally exhausted. A sense of tension consumed me, until I realized that no one was expecting me to be anywhere for at least another half hour! When I finally showed up at work, no one said a thing. Is this a sign of past successes being rewarded? Is it really acceptable for someone, who is, I guess, ranked higher in a company to show up late and not be questioned about it? I mean, really?

I couldn't look into the eyes of the people I supervised for the first hour. I was ashamed. They were on time. They were working hard. I was dreaming when they showed up. A wierd one, too, BTW. I even hopped online to check out the latest hub-bub at RP before I left! I had my own selfish reasons for doing so, coupled with the fact that I already knew I would be late, so what was a few more minutes? No one questioned it, not even as if it were a casual joke!

Well, shit! I must be a suck-sess! No wonder the folks in the trenches sometimes have a rocky relationship with the management! We're schmucks! I mean, I really don't think the majority of my peers would feel like they had let down their troops in this situation. And I'm really not trying to come off as thinking I am better than my peers here, I'm just being sincere. Hell, being late bothered me so much that I sent everyone home a half hour early with pay! Didn't tell them why, though, cause, you know, can't let them see the cracks in the window. To some extent, I feel like a fraud.

Yep. That was my day.

2 Comments:

Blogger edieraye said...

You can't beat yourself up for being human. Just remember not to chew out the next person who is a little late - whether it is personal or professional. It is great that you expect so much out of yourself but sometimes the person we most need to give a break to is ourselves. And sometimes the worst days are followed by the best. Here is wishing that is true for you!

8:36 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

There is no shame in making a mistake. The shame would be in not allowing yourself to be human. Yes, you are a professional, and yes, you are a manager, and even yes, you are a role model to other other employees. But when you make a mistake is when the MOST valuable opportunity comes to show what integrity really is. You own your mistake, you acknowledge what you plan to do to work on it, and you go about your duties.

You wouldn't "throw away" a really good employee who made an honest mistake so you shouldn't do that to yourself either. People have to know that the most important thing isn't being perfect - it's about doing your best, celebrating your accomplishments, and learning from your mistakes.

I'd be honored to have you for a boss but you know that I'd be sassy and probably get in trouble a lot!

{{{K}}}

5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home