Thursday, June 30, 2005

Day 14443b

(I wrote the first half of this last night, so I'm using that date.)

Ok, so I have definitely changed. In many ways, if I think about it, I am a slightly different person. Take music, for instance. Just a few minutes ago, I was IM'ing with a friendly little friend, when I heard the Ukraniun kids across the street blasting Def Leopard's High & Dry. I casually joked that it felt like circa 1983 and received back a comment with the word "flashback" in it.

My mind quickly did just that and I mentioned that if I had gone outside, I should have seen handcuffs hanging from the mirror of my car! Yep, you read that right. Don't believe me? Re-read it...I'll wait. See? Told you..."handcuffs"! It must have meant that I was one bad muthafucka, or maybe I just had them around so that I could handcuff girls to the steering wheel and then drive around town. Yeah, I was a perve. Still am! (Guess that part hasn't changed!)

Anyway, around 1983 my musical tastes were rapidly changing from Donald Fagan, Pete Townshend, INXS, and Icehouse to Rush, Rainbow, the Scorpions and especially Metallica. The harder the better. I was "bad", but not like Michael Jackson. I was angry. I was waiting for Blackie Lawless!

Fortunately, my days spent as a fan of heavy metal were short-lived. I quickly became interested in R.E.M., the Alarm, the Church, Bauhaus, and The The. In time even that morphed into almost an obsession with jam bands like Phish, moe. and alt-country groups like Uncle Tupelo.

(This is where I fell asleep last night!)

Change has been good to me and for me. Opened my eyes to new experiences, points of view, even spirituality. In hindsight, all those changes, even the appreciation of metal music has helped me grow. And when I look at it with an open mind, I still like some aspects of all my old tastes in tunes, even the metal. And with time, even Blackie has gone from just plain being the ultimate stick-poking front man to a man of much intelligence and wisdom. If you haven't read the link above, do it now. You will be surprised!

Anyway, I've got more changes on the horizon. Some, a fine lady friend has hinted at; others are yet to be announced. I'm in motion. I'm changing. I'm loving it! Hopefully, you are embracing your opportunities, as well!

Have a good day folks!

5 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Embracing opportunities...

Yes!

:) <---- (100watt smile!)

7:25 AM  
Blogger Allan said...

Change is good, whether fast or not so fast.

I just wish my life was changing a tad bit faster than it is.

;)

12:03 PM  
Blogger Alexandra said...

I love it when people change--for the better. The changes I've gone through in the last couple of decades just remind me of a swirling kaleidoscope--never staying the same, but beautiful nonetheless. Go Yibbyl!

7:33 AM  
Blogger Joni said...

Hopefully, you are embracing your opportunities as well.

Thanks for the serendipitous reminder to embrace what is offered without fear.

4:36 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Hmmm....

It's been July for a while now!

:)

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home