Monday, July 11, 2005

Day 14454

Today, I met a billionaire. OK, so after this evening's posts in the AU, I know this is not what anyone expects me to write about, but so be it. Where was I? Right. Today, I met a billionaire. He is what is commonly referred to as new money, as he inherited his wealth less than a year ago. He came into the store and was obviously lonely. He talked nonstop for what seemed like an eternity. Everytime a subject was coming to a natural close, he would go off on some tangent.

He mentioned being bored. Having retired because he was told to. Taking up golf, because he was told to. Hanging out with the Maloof's and other bigwigs because they were in his economic class. He was the most miserable person making $37 million per year in dividends I have ever met. Actually, he was the wealthiest person I ever met face to face. He was sad.

He mentioned how he was going insane from not knowing what to do next. How retirement was almost painfull. How much he hated the down time. Me, I couldn't do it. I don't think I could behave so aimlessly for such a long period just because the bills were already paid. I told him at the very least I would travel. Then, I mentioned my standard dream vacations to Tasmania and New Zealand. He asked me why and I gave him my explanations. Next thing I know, he offers to take me there!

OK. Would love to go. Would love to not have to pay for it. But can't take advantage of a lonely guy just because he can easily afford to pay my way. Oh, and BTW, I don't believe he's gay. We had earlier discussed the junk mail he must get. It contained letters from people asking for handouts, credit card offers, business offers, and, he said, 6 proposals of marriage from men! He made an "icky" face. Interestingly, no offers of marriage from women, though he did say that he frequently gets asked out by ladies when he goes to the bank. How pathetic is that? Fortunately, he's well aware of what they are after.

Anyway, like I said, he is sad - looks almost exhausted, even, from what I presume is a neverending line of people looking for handouts and fake friendships. Seems wierd to me that he would latch onto me so quickly. I imagine he is still getting used and abused by his inability to slowly find individuals he can trust. Are you getting the picture here? Long story short, I feel sorry for a guy who makes millions annually, doing nothing but signing his name to dividend checks! Makes me wonder if I really ever want to win the lottery. Ironically, I bought 2 quick-picks earlier in the day. Makes you think.

(Date & time of post altered to reflect that I started and just barely fell short of finishing this last night!)

4 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

You draw people to you. You listen.

That makes you both rare and special.

He obviously recognized that in you.

7:20 AM  
Blogger bhd said...

Very sad, but it makes me wonder if this fellow wasn't sad and lonely beforehand, too. Or maybe his recent fortune has brought that into focus.

I'd like to think my friends wouldn't change their attitude toward us when we win the big one. But then again, I'm a hopeless romantic.

So much good can be done with such wealth, and doing good might be a great place for him to start on "getting a life."

9:16 AM  
Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

BHD makes a very valid point. So much could be done with that wealth. But then again it may bring in a whole other contingency that would only be involved with him because of his mass fortune. And further into loneliness.

Sounds like you did the best thing, and just listened to him. Maybe that was all he needed. Hopefully he will travel, an too bad about the pesky concious. A paid trip to New Zealand sounds wonderful.

when you and M can go together!!!!!

sad story. wonder if he was telling the truth?

;-)

4:26 AM  
Blogger Yibbyl said...

Little update, as I had left out some info...

He bought a printing press, paper, and supplies that he uses to print up flyers, etc. for a few charities and his church. Doesn't seem to be a selfish guy.

Given, some signs...vehicle, walk-around money, and language/use of investment terms (my background is in finance), I believe he is on the up & up.

7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home